Artisan Applications 2021
- PLEASE FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS.
- YOU MUST ATTEND A WORKSHOP (with 3 pieces of your work and any necessary props for photography there) BEFORE YOU CAN BE AN ARTISAN ON THE TRAIL.
- WE DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN ARRANGEMENTS BETWEEN ARTISANS AND COMMERCIAL VENUES SO PLEASE START THOSE DISCUSSIONS EARLY.
APPLICATIONS WILL CLOSE SUNDAY 11 APRIL 2021L.
HOW TO APPLY
We are here to help!
We take all the photography for you, we can’t accept supplied images any more. You will need to bring your own display objects and props. GBART is a “meet the maker” engagement event. We publish photos of you with your work because our visitors want to meet you. It is as much about you as it is about your work.
We are selling a fun active weekend engaging with artisans and art to our visitors. We know this works. We know they come expecting to meet you, watch a demonstration and/or take part in a workshop.
Please do not apply via a mobile device (ie this means your phone or ipad, you need a desktop)
WHAT IS GBART?
It is the short name for The Granite Belt Art and Craft Trail Open Studios Event.
WHAT IS AN ARTS TRAIL?
A booklet with a map showing information about artisans and venues including their locations and event programmes so visitors can plan their own “adventure”.
The idea is for people to use this booklet to create their own adventure across the advertised days/times in the last 3 days of October. In 2021 this is 29, 30 and 31 October.
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE PLANS FOR YOUR VENUE TO HAVE ANY OPENING NIGHT FUNCTION ON THE 29TH. WE HAVE PLANNED SOMETHING WONDERFUL AND WE NEED TO ENSURE WE MAKE UP FOR NOT HAVING OPENING NIGHT LAST YEAR; AND WE NEED THIS EVENT AS OUR ONLY FUND RAISER. PLEASE HELP US TO HELP YOU BY PROMOTING AND ATTENDING IT WITH US.
The ‘Open Studio’ EVENT is when Artisans “ON THE TRAIL” commit to inviting the public into their studios (or commercial venue by separate arrangement) to experience their art or craft process by way of a demonstration, workshop or practise of their art or craft from 10am to 4pm for all 3 days the last weekend of October.
Groups of Artisans/Crafters (Collectives) can collaborate, an example might be Borderline Regional Arts, Boomerang Bags or Stanthorpe Potters. Tourist venues or other businesses can ‘Adopt an Artisan’ where they take up residence at a local business (eg winery or café etc) over the weekend.
Our key point of difference is that the artisans offer something for visitors to see/do across the advertised hours/dates – In our 3rd year, we know that our guests come expecting to meet the makers, take part in a workshop and/or watch a demonstration. It is not an art exhibition but an “engagement event”.
If "peopling all day" is not for you, then please apply to "display only" at our quiet space in the Showgrounds Exhibition Centre. This is the only venue where it can be display only. Anywhere else as a minimum you must be offering a “meet the maker engagement experience” for the advertised hours.
Please think ahead about things like lighting, display equipment and "helpers", how to process payment, shipping and post-event commissions/bookings/sales to ensure this is a good experience for you and our guests during and beyond the event.
WHO CAN APPLY?
LOCAL Artisans (including performing artisans) only.
LOCAL MEANS: "an individual or group of individuals who live OR have previously lived on 'The Granite Belt' OR have family currently living in The Granite Belt OR have current active professional membership with a local Granite Belt artisans organisation such as Borderline Regional Arts".
THE GRANITE BELT MEANS: "From Dalveen in the North to Wallangarra in the South. Villages such as Applethorpe, Amiens, Ballandean, Glen Aplin, Passchendaele, Thulimbah, Pozieres and Liston (NSW) are included."
- $50 application fee for Individual or NFP Collective with own studio OR roving performing artisan/Group
- You will need own PL Insurance.
- $150 Individual or NFP Collective at Commercial Venue (e.g., Café/winery), small hall OR Showgrounds Exhibition Space; or commercial artisan venue (e.g., Anna's Candles, Alpaca Arts Collective)
- No split payments please. *Please make ONE payment in FULL per application by direct debit to
- Bendigo Bank - BSB - 633 000 / Account - 168 641 066
- Use your Application Name as the description.
- Please ask us if you need a receipt.
Except for the showgrounds exhibition hall (showgrounds), artisans must be demonstrating, performing, providing a talk, meet the maker, workshop, or other engagement experiences for visitors with their art/craft, between 10am and 4pm on Friday 29th October Saturday 30th October and Sunday 31st October 2021. Those at the showgrounds must be in attendance for sales and enquiries (or at least cover advertised hours by roster prepared by GBART).
- NOTE - Each year some guests complain about venues late opening and early closures. Please ensure you are present and available for the stated dates and hours. Programming is now centralised and once we go to print, we can't make any changes.
Artisans can organise a suitable venue of their own, or contact GBART to book space at a small hall or the showgrounds. GBART does not get involved in arrangements with commercial venues, however we reserve our right to charge commission and to standardise commissions charged by venues in future.
Display equipment or lighting is not supplied by GBART.
Please wait until venue bookings are finalised before printing your promotional material in case we need to consolidate small halls or change programming. We had to cancel some hall bookings last year because we could not fill them all. Please wait until we confirm what we are able to do if you want to be at a small hall. If you are a NFP collective that wants to utilise a whole hall, you’re welcome to book your own direct (contact details are listed in the front of the Granite Belt Informer). If you do this you are responsible for your own COVID compliance requirements but we can show you a sample of what we did last year at The Summit.
Certificates of current public liability insurance and COVID compliance are required from each venue (except small halls and showgrounds co-ordinated by GBART). Except for Small Halls and the showgrounds, GBART does not organise venues for artisans, or find local artisans for businesses.
The objective of this event is to provide visitors with an engaging experience and insight into the process of your chosen media/genre. Our guests expect to engage with the makers.
* PLEASE NOTE THIS BEFORE YOU APPLY Exhibitions and sales without engagement offerings are limited to the showgrounds venue only.
Application assessment is by GBART inc. and decisions are final. No correspondence will be entered into. No late applications will be considered. Your online application is loaded directly into the booklet by the printer. Please ensure everything is correct before you load it as we do not have the resources or extra funds to fix things for you and/or to make changes after applications are completed. Printing and distribution costs go up every year so we will not publish any content that exceeds the word limit. The panel may contact organisations nominated by you to verify provenance documents to ensure that our visitors are buying work that is authentic.
Photography is the copyright property of the photographer and GBART. If you would like to use photos we take of you elsewhere, please ask permission.
Please bring 3 pieces of work for professional photography. Photographs taken will be the property of GBART and used for marketing purposes. You can use them for the sole purpose of promoting the event only. If you would like to use them elsewhere, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us where and when you would like to use them and we will ask the photographers. Please note we usually publish the photographs we take of you with your work, because people want to meet you before they visit the event. Our media specialist calls them "hero shots". We can only use photographs or images of you and your work taken by GBART providers, ie supplied images cannot be accepted.
Selection requirements and post-event performance payments (IF ANY CAN BE MADE) are subject to the following:
- Standard of and adequate body of work and authentic studio experience offering/program preparedness = engagement offering.
- If you identify as an indigenous person, please provide a current copy of your Indigenous Corporation Number (or similar provenance evidence).
- In the event of any provenance queries, we will require you to demonstrate adherence to the Australia Council Visual Arts Protocols for Indigenous Australian visual arts.
- No copyright or intellectual property breaches by any visual or performing artist please – we can’t promote you/GBART anywhere if the tunes/images we photograph/video belong to another artist.
- Certificate of Current Public Liability insurance for your venue if private studio, Flying Arts.com is one option but please make your own commercial decision. If it expires before October, please remember to send us an updated copy before the event opens.
- Evidence your venue is COVID compliant.
- Your social media link for your artisan business (and nothing else, ie no personal facebook sites), preferably on facebook.
- GBART will centralise programming, promoting, ticketing and sales of your workshops and co-host events to support regional tourism vendors promoting us.
- Payment for workshop bookings will be made approximately 14 days post-event as per the terms of our payment tool (less the transaction fees charged to us).
- Please cross-promote posts made by us of ALL GBART supporters and artisans. This means actively liking and sharing posts, subscribing to/sharing our publications and newsletters in a positive and supportive way throughout the year. It’s been noted that many don’t cross-promote even the Facebook post we put up to promote you when it goes up so lets hope this year we can do lots better.
- GBART content and images are provided for promoting GBART and for no other purpose. Please ONLY use social media pages and platforms that are relevant to your role for GBART (ie no personal, political or unrelated sites to use GBART as a vehicle for any other agenda).
- GBART is a wellbeing event for the Granite Belt Community. We have no political or social or other affiliations. Please do not link GBART with anything that does not belong to it. Our objectives are inclusiveness, Economic Uplift for our community, Identity as an Arts/Cultural Destination and reduced Isolation. Posts or comments or communication on any platform in any media that do not support these objectives are not tolerated, no excuses and you will be removed from the trail.
- We will ask you for information about sales which you can provide anonomysly but please do not ignore our request for help. This is how we demonstrate to funding organisations that our event actually makes a difference here. If our funding applications succeed, this is how we fund paying any performance fees we may be able to offer after the event *hint-hint*. Please ensure you make these arrangements clearly with your venue for this before you finalise your application.
- By completing the application, you are confirming that you have permission of all the parties to your application to apply, that you have carefully communicated these requirements and arrangements with them, and the information provided in your application as the liaison person is true and correct.
- March - Open for application workshops and photography. Successful applicants receive a free 30 min professional photography session. Please bring 3 pieces of your work and any props you need for photography. This step must be fully completed by the end of April to give photographers time to finalise processing for the printer.
- May – Panel review and announcement of who is on the trail AND LAUNCH OF PROGRAMMING/TICKETING.
- June - Printing.
- July - Trail Booklets & Programmes are prepared/proofed and printed – we have a Media Famil planned for 31 July and we will distribute booklets from here until we open the last weekend of October.
- August - Trail Booklets & Programme distributed - open for ticketing/sales.
- August - Opening Night Tickets will be open for purchase. GBART Inc. members have first option to purchase before full release.
- Opening Night Friday Oct 29th in the Stanthorpe Show grounds (Peter Bondfield Arena)
- October 29, 30, 31 - GBART Open Studios Event - 10am to 4pm - ONE HUGE LONG WEEKEND!
- 1-5 November 2021 – GBART belongings and data to be returned to collection point – banners, buttons, un-used brochures, feedback sheets.
- November 2021 – booking payments, data entry, data analysis, reporting and performance payments processed (if any possible) and Grant applications start straight away.